The Spiti Valley is a cold desert mountain valley located high in the Himalaya Mountains. On our journey to this beautiful place, we will go through the tribal valleys of Central Himalayas, while following the Indo- Tibetan Border road and exploring Kinnaur, Sangla, and Shimla valley. Each day of our journey gives us an opportunity to explore this land of barren and beautiful wilderness. The culturally diverse people add to the charm and interest of this safari in the Himalayas.
The desolate mountains of this high altitude cold desert and deep ravines reveal the natural beauty of the landscape and geology. We drive through some of the worlds highest Himalayan villages, explore old monasteries, and journey over high passes, getting close to glaciers and a number of high altitude lakes. We stop at villages and camps on the way to get an insight into the daily life of these nomadic people. This is an awe-inspiring landscape which is unparalleled and unforgettable!!!
Highlights of the trip:
- A road trip of a lifetime
- Awe-Inspiring Landscapes
- Experience a rich culture
- Send Postcards from the Highest Post Office of the World
- Visit the Worlds Highest Motorable Village
- Camping at Chandrataal
- Untouched High-Altitude Lakes
- Fascinating Monasteries
- Day 1 – 31st May, Friday – Chandigarh – Narkanda | Overnight at Narkanda
On arrival at Chandigarh we drive towards Narkanda. It is a drive of 6-7 hrs, driving through the beautiful villages of Fagu, Theog, Matiana, Narkanda. En route we will visit the Apple orchards, Hattu peak (10,000 ft) at Narkanda, from where you can have a spectacular view of the mighty Central Himalayas
- Day 2 – 1st June, Saturday – Narkanda -Sangla| Overnight at Sangla
After breakfast at your hotel we will set off at around 9:00 a.m. We driving through the beautiful villages of Kumarsain, Kotgarh and Rampur. In the evening walk through Kamru and Sangla villages and we will visit the beautifully carved old temples and Buddhist monasteries. We will have plenty of opportunities to speak to the local people in these valleys. The Baspa Sangla valley is the part of Kinnaur valley.
- Day 3 – 2nd June, Sunday – Sangla – Chitkul- Kalpa| Overnight at Kalpa
This morning after breakfast we will be driving you to Chitkul which is the last village on the Indian side on the Indo–Tibetan border. The village of Chitkul is like something from a fairy tale, and you will have a chance to walk slowly around it. The landscapes are stunning, and you will have plenty of time by the riverside. We will then move towards Kalpa Village. Later on if time permits we will visit the so-called suicide Point famous for its thrilling trench and enchanting atmosphere. These villages are covered with thick pine forests and are famous for apricots and apples. The finest view of the Mt. Kinner Kailash Mountain (6000 meters) can be had from here.
- Day 4 – 3rd June, Monday – Kalpa - Nako – Giu – Tabo| Overnight at Tabo
After breakfast, start early for the small hamlet of Nako. Nako Village is beautifully set in the background of Reo Purgyal peak which sits at and altitude of 6816 mts – the highest peak in Himachal Pradesh. Nako lake is a small lake which borders this village. We will head towards Tabo from Nako but not before we visit Geu Monastery which has a 550-year-old naturally preserved Mummy. In the evening we will head towards the caves near to Tabo to witness a beautiful sunset.
- Day 5 – 4th June, Tuesday – Tabo to Kaza| Overnight at Kaza
Wake up early in the morning and visit the Tabo Monastery. The monastery was built in 996AD. Tabo Monastery is also known as the 'Ajanta of the Himalayas’. The temple complex of this monastery is declared a national historic treasure of India and is looked after by the Archaeological Survey of India.
We will then leave for Kaza and en route will visit Dhankar monastery and those who like can trek to Dhankar lake. The trek to Dhankar lake is a worthwhile 2km walk up from Dhankar village, with fine views over the valley and towards the twin peaks of Manirang. We will reach Kaza by evening.
- Day 6 – 5th June, Wednesday – Explore Kaza| Overnight at Kaza
Kaza is the commercial center of Spiti Valley and its largest town. It is also home to only Petrol pump in the area and it happens to be worlds highest petrol pump – Retail outlet. Today we will visit the villages of Komic, Hikkim and Langza.
Langza is another picturesque village of Spiti valley, it is famous for the presence of marine fossils Komic is the Highest village(4587 mts) in the world connected by a motorable road and also home to the Komic Monastery. After that we will go to hikkim which is home to the highest post(4440 mts) office in the world. You can send postcards to your loved ones from here. Postcards can be bought from Kaza or from the Post office itself. In the evening we will visit the Kaza market and various cafes in Kaza.
- Day 7 – 6th June, Thursday – Kaza to Chandrataal | Overnight at Chandrataal
After an early breakfast we Checkout from our hotel in Kaza and visit Key Monastery and Kibber Village enroute Chandrataal. The Key Monastery is over a thousand years old, and apart from being the oldest, it is also the largest monastery that can be found in the entire Spiti Valley. The magnificent monastery doubles up as a religious training center for the Lamas, and about 300 lamas receive their education from here. We drive over Kunzum La (4500m) to enter into Lahaul valley. Kunzum pass offers beautiful views of the snow-covered peaks. Kunzum pass is the gateway to Spiti valley via Kuulu valley and Lahaul Valley. We will reach over campsite by early evening and if time permits, we will visit Chandrataal lake in the evening itself or else the next day Morning
- Day 8 – 7th June, Friday – Chandrataal to Manali| Overnight at Manali
We check out from our campsite and prepare for a long journey ahead. The route from Chandrataal to Manali is and arduous. This route is closed during the winters and hence remains in bad condition. The journey through these roads is an adventure in itself. The route passes through the famous Rohtang pass. We will reach Manali at night
- Day 9 – 8th June, Saturday – Manali local sightseeing| Overnight journey
Today after Breakfast check out from the hotel and you have to chance to do rafting and paragliding in Manali. Overnight journey to Delhi in AC Volvo.
- Day 10 – 9th June, Sunday – Reach Delhi
Say your goodbyes, this brings us to the end of an EPIC adventure and beginning of an era of travel stories with Wandering Souls. Come back for more and more
Inclusions & Exclusions
- Airport/Railway Station Transfers
- All transport in a traveller and/or a bolero/similar
- Accommodation on Double/Triple sharing basis in Deluxe Rooms at all destinations as per the itinerary
- Accommodation in Swiss Tents at Chandrataal
- Breakfast & Dinner at all hotels/Camps
- Entrance fees to all monasteries, museums and other places listed in the itinerary
- All permits
- Post & Pre-Trip Support
- Train/ Air fare
- Dinner on Day 9 and Breakfast on Day 1 and Day 10
- Any shopping or personal expense
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Things to carry
- We will be sending you a details list of what to bring and what not to once you register
- Please avoid wearing Gold and other jewellery during any activity.
- A planned activity or programs may be cancelled or revised depending on the weather or any other unavoidable circumstances
- If cancellation done by participant prior to 60 days of the Event 100% of total price will be refunded
- If cancellation done by participant prior to 45 days of the Event 50% of total price will be refunded
- If cancellation done by participant prior to 30 days of the Event 25% of total price will be refunded
- No refund would be provided if cancellation done within 30 days of the event
- Flight tickets are non-refundable
111 total visits